The top 10 things to know about making a budget.

1. Budgets are necessary.

* It is the only way that you can really get a grip on your spending so you can make sure your money is being used the way you want it to be.

2. Designing your budget requires 3 initial steps…

* You have to categorize how you spend your money now.

* Evaluate your current spending and set goals that take into account your financial objectives.

* Track your spending to make sure that it stays within the guidelines of your objectives.

3. Use software to save you some grief!

* I use Quicken personally or you can use Microsoft Money – they can help not only build your budget but very effective in tracking too.

4. Don’t over complicate it and drive yourself into not doing it!

* Set basic categories – don’t get into the micro detail. Once you establish which categories of spending that you want to use then you can concentrate on those categories – expanding on where you need to cut or expand as you go and less about other aspects of your spending.

5. Watch out for cash leakage.

* If you withdraw cash from the ATM and it just seems to disappear – then you have to keep better records… I am all for using cash – but make sure you know what you are using it for and keep good records.

6. Spending beyond your limits can be dangerous.

* Statistics show that many households are spending more than they bring in. This is a slippery slope and usually credit cards are involved.

7. Beware of luxuries dressed up as necessities.

* Simply Рif your income does not cover your costs Рthen some of your spending is probably for luxuries Рeven if you think they are filling a real need.

8. Contribute to yourself.

* If you really aim for 90% of your income to live on and spend, then you can use the other 10% to save for your big picture goals and dreams.

9. Don’t count on windfalls.

* When calculating the money you can live on – or for your future planning – don’t include dollars that you are not sure you will receive – like an inheritance, year end bonus – tax refund – investment gains – or as some throw money away each month to ‘lotteries’!

10. Beware of the spending creep…

* When your income starts to rise from raises – promotions – smart investing… don’t start spending it on luxuries until you have made it part of your overall plan and goals. Better to save it first.


You must be logged in to post a comment.
Menu

Password Reset

Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.